Mountain biking is an inherently expensive sport, but we try to keep the fees as reasonable as possible. We have some great sponsors to help the team with long-term equipment costs and to help subsidize some cycling apparel for student athletes and coaches. As we are not a sanctioned high school sport, we receive no subsidy from the schools.
Required Fees: $270
Race Fees: vary up to $160
Other Expenses: vary
Pricing details are further explained below.
Registration Fees (Required)
$70 Biting Goats Registration Fee -- due May 25th
This fee is determined by the Team Board and is kept as low as possible to cover annual operating expenses which include:
Team Expenses: NICA/League fee, TeamSnap subscription, website
Coach Training not covered by NICA & IICL and Coach Shirts for new coaches
Practice and Race Day Support
- Year-End Banquet & Awards
$200 NICA & IICL Registration Fee -- due before second on-bike event
Besides registering and paying the Biting Goats Team fee, student-athletes must register on Pitzone and pay the NICA & IICL fees to be “practice ready” before their second on-bike event. These fees help provide:
- Coach Training
- Insurance for students & coaches
- Day to day operations of the Idaho League
Race Expenses (Optional--only required if racing)
Race Registration -- due Aug 15th for first race OR Season Pass discount
There are a few options and full details can be found on Idaho League site under Student-Athlete Fees. Here are the basics:
- Season Race Pass (registers student in all 5 races in one transaction to have discount applied)
- $150 for high school students (9-12th grades)
- $125 for middle school students (6-8th grades)
- Per Race Registration (not needed if season pass was purchased)
- $50 per race for 9-12th grade students
- $45 per race for 6-8th grade students
$10 Team Race Jersey, required if racing -- due May 25th with Team Registration
Actual cost is $60 but each student will receive a $50 subsidy towards that OR other team cycling apparel thanks to generous sponsorship from Teton Cancer Institute (TCI).
There are natural costs of the sport that you’ll likely incur throughout the season.
- Closed-toe Shoes
- Water (bottle + bike cage OR hydration pack)
Each rider is responsible for maintaining his or her own mountain bike. We encourage every rider to establish a relationship with a local bike shop for bike tunes, equipment maintenance, and questions. Many local shops offer discounts to NICA athletes & coaches for equipment and repairs.
If you need help finding and/or purchasing a bike, please talk to the Team Director or Head Coach. They can help guide you to some good resources and might have access to a few loaner bikes.
Highly Recommended Equipment
- Padded shorts, gloves & eye protection
- Spare tube & mini-pump OR CO2 cartridges & inflator
- Bike multi-tool
- Weather appropriate clothing (jacket, etc)
- No specific apparel is needed for practices.
- Riders must wear our Team Race Jersey to participate in Idaho League races.
- Every student and coach registered with our team will receive a $50 subsidy towards their order of Team Cycling Apparel. No subsidy will be given for “Other Team Apparel” (see below). The student athlete subsidy is thanks to a generous sponsorship from the Teton Cancer Institute. The coach subsidy is thanks to other generous team sponsors.
- Team Cycling Apparel — order & pay by May 25th (qualifies for the $50 subsidy / student-athlete or coach)
- Race Jersey $60 (Specialized RBX Short Sleeve)
- Practice Jersey $40 (Specialized All Mountain Short Sleeve)
- Spandex padded cycling shorts $45 (Primal Prisma)
- Baggie cycling shorts with padded liner $55 (Primal Escade)
- Other Team Apparel — order & pay by May 25th (does NOT qualify for the $50 subsidy / student-athlete or coach)
- Prices TBA by May 4th (hoodie, T-shirt, socks)
- Students (or their parents) are responsible to get selves to & from practice and race locations
- Team encourages but does not organize carpooling
Accommodations at Races
- The Idaho League provides a free camping area at each race venue
- Our team has a culture of embracing this free camping option
- The camping is not luxurious–usually it’s in a cement-hard gravel parking lot, side by side with other tents/campers–but it is a fun way to gather together and build camaraderie and memories
- Different accommodations are at student/family choice and expense
Food at Races
- Our Team Board enlists volunteers to provide & prepare shared meals at races for minimal cost to individuals
- Participation in these meals is optional and available to athletes, coaches and their family & friends
- Friday Dinner at camp = pasta with marinara & meat sauce, mozzarella & parmesan cheese, corn, roll w/butter, watermelon, hot chocolate. Cost in 2021 was $3/person. Price TBD for 2022.
- Saturday Breakfast at camp = bagels & cream cheese, oatmeal, hot chocolate or cider, bananas, oranges, and/or apples. Cost in 2021 was $2/person. Price TBD for 2022.
- Saturday Lunch at pitzone = Santa fe Chicken Salad or Wrap: tortillas/chips, lettuce, beans, chicken, cheese, pico de gallo, peppers, olives, jalapeno ranch dressing. Cost in 2021 was $5/person. Price TBD for 2022.
- Due date to sign and pay for each meal is Sunday midnight prior to each race weekend. Link to google doc will be shared via TeamSnap.